"You do not have to face your injury alone. Contact me today for a free consultation" - Attorney Sarah Christensen
Sarah Christensen
Colorado Springs Attorney
About usOur PracticeDirectionsContact us


What if the automobile accident was partially my fault?

If you are in an accident with another person, you may still be able to recover for your injuries, even if the accident was partially your fault. However, in order to recover, you must be able to prove that the other person's fault was greater than yours. In addition, the amount of compensation you receive will be reduced by your percentage of fault.

What can I recover?

You are entitled to recover all the damages directly caused by your accident. Although every case is different, the law allows the victim of a Personal Injury to be compensated for:

  • Past and future medical expenses
  • Past and future lost wages
  • Loss of ability to work
  • Physical pain and suffering
  • Emotional and mental suffering
  • Permanent physical damage
  • Disfigurement, including scars and limping
  • Property damage
  • Other financial loss caused by the injury

How do I know what my vehicle injury is worth?

The value of a Personal Injury case depends upon a number of factors, including:

  • How difficult it is to proof the other party was at fault,
  • the seriousness of your injuries,
  • the type of medical treatment you receive for your injuries, and
  • the amount of insurance coverage available to pay for your injuries.

The final total amount of your medical bills is an important factor in determining the value of your Personal Injury case. If your medical treatment is not yet completed, it is hard to estimate the value of your case. The insurance companies always want you to settle for a low estimate. What if you don’t recover as well as expected and are left with lingering problems or disabilities caused by this injury?

Every Personal Injury case is different. The assistance of an attorney thoroughly familiar with Personal Injury law may be absolutely vital to properly determine the fair value of your Personal Injury claim.

What if I have been hurt before?

Previous injuries do not affect your right to recover compensation. You are still entitled to recover damages for the re-injury or aggravation of the earlier injury.

Where will the money come from to compensate me?

Usually, the party who caused your injury has insurance to pay for your damages. Also, your own insurance policy may contain coverage for your injuries. However, many times sources of compensation are overlooked. The assistance of an attorney experienced in handling Personal Injury claims can often increase your ability to recover.

Do not expect the insurance company to tell you about all available coverage. Their goal to minimize claims. Ours is to make sure that you are provided the maximum allowable compensation for your injury from all available, legally responsible parties.

What if the person at fault in an automobile accident has no insurance?

Colorado law requires drivers to maintain insurance coverage on their vehicles. Unfortunately, many drivers ignore this requirement. If your automobile policy provides for "uninsured motorist" coverage, even if the party at fault has no insurance on his vehicle, or does not have enough insurance to pay your damages, your insurance company may provide compensation.

This is one of the most technical and complicated areas of Personal Injury law. The advice of an attorney experienced in handling Personal Injury claims may be extremely important in this situation.

Am I entitled to have my car repaired?

Yes! If you are involved in an automobile accident that was not your fault, the responsible party or their insurance company is liable for the damages to your vehicle. If your automobile is a total loss, you are entitled to the reasonable market value for the vehicle.

If my car is damaged in an automobile accident am I entitled to a rental car?

Yes! If the accident was not your fault, and your vehicle is not drivable as a result of the accident, the responsible party or their insurance company will pay your expenses while your car is being repaired, if the vehicle is not a total loss.

Can I choose my own doctor?

Absolutely! The law specifically gives you the right to select your own treating physician. You do not need advance approval from an insurance company to begin medical treatment.

Is chiropractic care covered?

Definitely! The law very clearly allows a party injured in an accident to receive chiropractic treatment. The law provides that YOU have the freedom to choose the type of medical care you receive as the result of an accident.

Do I have to file a lawsuit?

Absolutely not! In fact, most Personal Injury cases are agreeably settled without filing a lawsuit. Your attorney is an experienced and skilled negotiator on your behalf. He/She knows your rights under the law, presses the insurance company to accept their full responsibility for your injuries and will accept nothing less.

Moreover, the filing of a lawsuit often delays your recovery and increases your expenses. I feel that a lawsuit should usually be filed only as a last resort. However, sometimes a lawsuit must be filed in order to obtain a full and fair recovery and I aggressively pursue the responsible parties if they will not agree on just compensation for my clients.

How long do I have to file my claim?

Usually you must either settle your case or file a lawsuit within two years of the date of your accident. If suit is not filed within this time period, you may be prevented from pursuing your claim. However, there are a number of exceptions to this rule. Sometimes the normal filing period can be extended. You should seek the advice of a qualified attorney to be sure your rights are fully protected.

Do I need an attorney?

You are not required by law to have an attorney represent you. However, without a lawyer you must deal with an experienced insurance adjuster or insurance company lawyer on your own. Both of these parties make a living protecting the insurance company’s interests. The best way to be sure that you receive each and every benefit provided by law is to have the help of an experienced attorney who understands Personal Injury law and whose only goal is to protect YOUR RIGHTS.

How much does an attorney charge?

In Personal Injury cases, I do not charge an attorney fee for personally consulting with you about your case. In fact, many people who have been injured through no fault of their own do not have the money to hire a lawyer to protect their rights. That’s the reason my fee is paid at the end of the case out of a portion of the recovery. If I am unable recover compensation for you, you do not owe me a fee. This is called a “contingency fee” arrangement and is common among Personal Injury attorneys. The law does require the client to remain responsible for necessary expenses.

How long will it take to conclude my claim?

The length of time necessary to conclude an Automobile Injury case depends upon a number of factors. You will not be in a position to consider settling your claim until you know how much the final medical expenses will total. Therefore, the amount of time required to heal is often one of the biggest factors in determining the length of time necessary to conclude a claim. In most cases, once you have been released from medical treatment, settlement negotiations can begin almost immediately. Most claims can be settled promptly at that point.

Will my injury affect my job?

Federal law (the Americans with Disabilities Act) prohibits an employer from discriminating against an employee as the result of a disability. If your injury causes a disability, your employer must attempt to allow you to return to work even if certain reasonable accommodations must be made because of your injury. An employer cannot simply refuse to allow you to return to your job because of your disability, unless you cannot perform your job functions without a reasonable accommodation.

If your employer refuses to offer accommodations, or terminates your employment, you may be entitled to damages. Pursuing claims under the Americans with Disabilities Act can be very complicated and requires that the employee first meet certain administrative requirements before actually going to court.

In Colorado a charge of discrimination must be filed with the EEOC within 300 days of the discriminatory act. Failure to do so results in the claim being time barred. Therefore, it is important to discuss your prospective case with an attorney experienced in this area of law as soon as possible.

Where can I obtain additional information about personal injury claims?

If you or your family members have been injured in a vehicle accident call (719) 634-7770. Let me use my knowledge, experience and resources to compel responsibility for your injuries. I will vigorously pursue the maximum allowable compensation for your loss under the law. There is no charge for discussing your situation with me.

Please call Colorado Springs Personal Injury Lawyer Sarah Christensen now to talk about your case. She can be reached by phone at 719-634-7770.

Bookmark and Share

Additional Colorado Springs Personal Injury Information. .

If you have been injured in Colorado Springs, you probably have questions.

Hiring a Lawyer
The Length of a Case
Boat Accidents
Vehicle Cases
Trucking Accident FAQ
Auto Accident FAQ
FREE Case Review


Our mission is to provide the residents of Colorado Springs with dedicated professional legal services, with a focus on personal injury.

Free Case Evaluation

Phone Number:

Email Address:

Your Inquiry:


home contact us Search Car Accident Attorney Commercial Accident Attorney Motorcycle Accident Attorney Hit and Run Attorney Wrongful Death Attorney Injury Settlement Attorney Personal Injury Attorney Frequently Asked Questions facebook twitter linkedIn wordpress